Mosaics in Pripyat
Mosaics on the buildings on Lenin Avenue in Pripyat were made by one of the most popular and outstanding Ukrainian monumental artists Ivan Lytovchenko (1921-1996). Since 1974 and till the day of the accident, Lytovchenko used to be the main artist of the city, and these years he devoted to the decoration of the city. Although there are more mosaics all over the city made by Lytovchenko, those three from the Lenin Avenue are the most important ones.
The mosaics are placed on the walls of the shops. When entering the city through the main checkpoint, “Kolosok” bakery is the first building with the mosaic on the wall that the visitors see. The masterpiece is called “Svitanok” (“The Dawn”). It was made in 1979.
The next one is located in on the wall of Meat.Fish.Vegetables shop. The mosaic is called “Do Svitla” (“To the Light”) and was made in 1977. It represents the story of Danko, who brings people out of the darkness and embodies the idea of self-sacrifice for the sake of progress.
Dairy shop “Ruchey” (“The Stream”) has the third mosaic on its wall. It is called “Tvorennya” (“Creation”) and was made in 1982. There is the goddess Demeter there surrounded by family and, on the other side, by scientists who deal with “peaceful atom” and hold uranium rods in their hands.