Church in Chernobyl
Some sources say that this temple was built in 1500. There were a school and houses of priests built nearby as well. Unfortunately, wooden construction burned down in 1857. In less than 10 years, it was totally restored: the new one was made out of stone. As long as religion was prohibited in the Soviet Union, Chernobyl church was damaged by atheists in 1930s. Bell tower and the bell itself were destroyed. Luckily, the walls of the temple were strong, so were able to stand the attempts to demolish them. Worship was officially prohibited there, and the building was used a warehouse for grain. In 1941, there was another attempt to destroy the sanctuary. Red Army decided to explode it during its retreat. Many people consider it as a miracle, but the sanctuary could stand one more time.
When the accident happened, Church in Chernobyl remained abandoned for some time. After evacuation of population from the town, looters tried to break in, but one of them was injured when opening the door, so they left.
In 1990, the sanctuary was reopened; however, worship took place there once in a while. Since 2001, there is a permanent priest, Mykola Yakushyn, a native of the town, serving there for the workers and re-settlers of the zone. To remember sad events of 1986, Chernobyl church bells rings only in the night of 26th of April. It is called a Bell of Sorrow.
Visiting this location is possible in private and multiday tours. Also, there is a museum nearby which can be visited as well. There you can see traditional household tools, in particular, wool processing ones and some old pictures of the town.